I’m a follower of Christ, military spouse, mother, and farm-maker. Originally from Indianapolis, I joined the Air Force at 17 and added nearly 10 years of military service to my name. After spending 4 years on active duty at the Air Force Academy I moved to Alaska and joined the Air National Guard. Alaska is also where I met and married my husband Jay (Leap Year Day 2004). We’ve been stationed in Alaska, Arkansas, Illinois, and back to Arkansas again (when Jay joined the Arkansas Air National Guard, January 2013). Lately, we’ve been enjoying life on the farm with our two children, 2 rescued dogs, and flock of spoiled hens (#LitChicks).
In addition to being a farm-maker, I’m also a book clubber and avid reader. Originally, Christian Shelf-Esteem was established as a way of sharing my favorite books with the Women’s Ministry at church. Today, it exists to connect believers with books that entertain, encourage, and/or edify. I enjoy posting reviews and hearing what other readers have to say about titles we have in common.
Thank you for being here, for reading and commenting on my reviews, and connecting on social media.
10 Random Things
- I’m a virtual assistant to a few amazingly talented authors.
- I tend to judge books by their covers.
- The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers won me to Christian fiction.
- Lately, I’ve been geeking out over church history, theology podcasts, and classic Christian literature.
- I am every bit of the ISTJ Meyers-Briggs says I am.
- Vacuum lines in the carpet make me happy.
- National Parks occupy most of my bucket list.
- There’s always a song stuck on repeat in my head. 🎶
- Raised Catholic, I left the church soon after I enlisted. It would be a number of years before I would hear God’s calling through the gospel message, repent of my sins, and believed unto life. I attend a (Reformed) Bible Church in a neighboring college town.
- I begin every day with my Bible and a cup of coffee. In 2018, I’ll be using The Bible Project’s chronological reading plan.
RC Sproul (Theology changing/life altering), Charles Haddon Spurgeon, John MacArthur (#Amreading, read), J.I. Packer, Jen Wilkin, Martin Luther, Donald S. Whitney, Nate Pickowicz, Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Chapter 2 is a gut punch!), and Rebecca VanDoodewaard.
Biblical Fiction – Tessa Afshar, Lynn Austin, and Mesu Andrews
Historical Fiction – Francine Rivers, Lori Benton, Jocelyn Green, Nancy Kimball, Tamera Alexander, Lisa Wingate +++
Mystery & Suspense – Dani Pettrey, Lisa Harris, and Kristy Cambron
Contemporary – Amy Sorrells, Kara Isaac, Katherine Reay, and Hillary Manton Lodge
Young Adult – Mary Weber (this list will grow as I read more from this genre)
Quattro began reading before his 2nd birthday and reading remains his favorite pastime. Currently (2017-18) a 7th grader, he serves as a staff reporter for his school’s newspaper. He’s given some thought to working in the publishing industry when he grows up.
Types of Christian books he enjoys most:
Middle Grade and Young Adult
- Epic Adventures
Books that I review come from a number of sources to include: my local library, bookstores, blogger programs, and authors. I am not paid to do this. However, in exchange for a copy of the book, I agree to post my review here and elsewhere on the web.
We are not members of any affiliate program.